It’s ironic to think that when we were children, we used to fall down nearly every day. We most likely have to work hard to even remember a few of these falls because the vast majority of them were almost immediately forgotten as we got right back up and went about our business. As we got older, we fell less but even if we were injured in a slip and fall accident we tended to heal quickly and move on with our lives. As we continue to get older, falls become more of a problem for us to the point where they are a real and present danger that can affect our health and even our ability to live out our days as we should. We have been serving clients as Las Vegas slip and fall lawyers at Bernstein & Poisson for 30 years. We have represented too many people who were injured in these accidents, and a very large percentage of them have been older. Almost every study or body of data that can be found with regards to slip and fall accidents and fall injuries and fatalities indicate clearly that older people face a higher risk of serious injuries and death from these incidents than others. Below are just a few considerations to keep in mind with regards to the potential results of slip and fall accidents as provided by the United States Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, or the CDC:
- Approximately 25 percent of people who fall suffer injuries that include severe lacerations, hip fractures or traumatic brain injuries.
- 46 percent of people who were at least 65 years old in the year 2000 who suffered a fall were diagnosed with a traumatic brain injury.
- The majority of fractures suffered by Americans who are at least 65 years old occur because of a fall.
- The death rate from falls for people at least 65 years old has nearly tripled over the past 15 years in the United States.
- More than 20,000 people who were at least 65 years old were killed because of falls in the year 2009.
- More than 270,000 people suffered hip fractures because of falls in the United States in 2009.
For a free legal consultation, call (702)-887-1712
These are obviously troubling statistics, and they should alert anyone who may not already be familiar with this problem that slip and fall accidents lead to serious and sometimes deadly consequences. If you are at least 65 years old or you have a loved one or loved ones who are part of this age group, you need to take extra precautions to minimize the chance that you or they will suffer a fall. Do not be afraid to ask for help if you are unsure of your footing and give yourself extra time to move around, particularly if you are in an unfamiliar place. Be ready to provide this help to others. Of course, if you suffer a fall while legally on someone else’s property because of a dangerous condition, contact Bernstein & Poisson immediately to schedule a free initial consultation.