People often head to Las Vegas to gamble and have fun at one of the many casinos. However, what happens to visitors who suffer a casino shuttle bus injury? Is it possible to seek compensation to help recover certain damages, such as medical costs?
At Bernstein & Poisson, we discuss what you can expect if you were injured on a shuttle bus provided by the casino. If this has happened to you, we strongly recommend that you contact our experienced Las Vegas casino injury lawyers for help. There is no cost for an initial consultation, and you may be eligible to seek compensation for your injuries.
Common Causes of Casino Shuttle Bus Accidents
There are a lot of ways that casino-goers can get hurt during a bus ride. Common causes of shuttle bus crashes include:
- Negligent drivers: Another driver or the driver of the shuttle bus itself could cause a dangerous crash by speeding, driving while distracted, driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs, or disobeying the rules of the road.
- Slippery floors: Spills on the floor of a shuttle bus can lead to a slip and fall. Victims in this situation could suffer severe head injuries, fractures and other physical harm. Rain can also be a problem, as passengers can bring it into the bus.
- Poor maintenance: People may get seriously hurt if the shuttle bus was not regularly serviced and repaired. Poor maintenance of brakes, tires and other auto parts could contribute to or cause a crash.
- Falling luggage: If luggage has not been properly stowed away, it could fall on an unsuspecting passenger or cause one or more passengers to trip after it lands on in the aisle. Luggage could also be left out in the aisle as passengers board the bus.
Pedestrians or bicyclists could also get hit by a shuttle bus. The driver may not always be liable for this type of accident, such as if a person was jaywalking. However, if the driver was distracted or impaired and struck a pedestrian or cyclist, he or she may be liable for the damages.
For a free legal consultation, call (855) 605-2959
Who Could Be Liable for Your Casino Shuttle Bus Injury?
Liability for this type of crash must be determined on a case-by-case basis. However, one or more parties may be partially or even fully liable when passengers suffer a casino shuttle bus injury. Potentially, responsible parties could include the shuttle bus driver, his or her employer, the casino, and other third parties, such as:
- Managers or supervisors at the bus company
- Manufacturer of the bus
- Bus maintenance company
It is important to note bus companies are considered common carriers under Nevada law. That means bus companies can be liable for injuries to passengers even if they were only slightly at fault.
Determining liability for an accident involving a casino shuttle bus injury can be tricky. There are a variety of local and state regulations that could come into play.
However, at Bernstein & Poisson, we have the staff and resources to fully investigate the cause of an accident that caused you harm. We are prepared to determine all possible parties who may have contributed to the accident and your injuries.
If you have a valid claim, you may be eligible to seek compensation for the damages you sustained, including:
- All related medical costs, including the expense of going to and from your doctor’s appointments
- Surgeries you may need, initially or in the future, resulting from the incident
- Physical therapy and rehabilitation
- Wages lost while recovering from your injuries
- Future earnings if you are unable to return to work
- Other pain and suffering damages, such as emotional distress
- Wrongful death damages on behalf of a loved one who suffered fatal injuries
Insurance policies on shuttle buses could max out at hundreds of thousands of dollars or even $1 million. That means these insurance policies often have more than enough to cover your damages. However, you need an experienced attorney to determine the full value of your claim and build a strong case to pursue full compensation.
Why Casino Shuttle Bus Crash Claims Can Be Difficult
To start with, regardless of who may be liable for a casino shuttle bus injury, the burden of proving negligence is on the injured victim, or his or her attorney.
Here are some other complications that could impact the outcome of your casino shuttle bus injury claim:
- Multiple passengers are injured: If a casino shuttle bus is involved in a collision, there may be a limited amount of insurance coverage available per accident. This can quickly become a first to claim, first to receive compensation type of situation.
- There are deadlines that apply: If you miss the filing deadline, you will likely be barred from seeking any compensation for your injuries. In Nevada, the statute of limitations is typically two years from the date of the injury.
- ‘He said, she said’ situation: If the accident is your word against the driver or another third party, it can be difficult to prove any acts of negligence occurred. That is why you need an experienced attorney helping you pursue compensation.
First Steps After a Casino Shuttle Bus Accident
Immediately after any accident that caused you harm, there are steps we recommend taking to help protect a potential claim, including:
- Calling 9-1-1: After any accident with multiple injuries, you want to get first responders to the scene as quickly as possible. This step helps injured parties to get the help they need faster. It also generates a police report, which can provide valuable information if you file a claim later.
- Get emergency medical care: Waiting to get to the emergency room may worsen your injuries. In some cases, delays can cause irreversible damage if you have internal bleeding, organ damage or other serious injuries. In addition to protecting your health, this step ensures that the insurance company or other third parties cannot later claim you were injured elsewhere.
- Contacting a lawyer: Getting a qualified attorney involved from the beginning helps to ensure your interests are protected from day one. He or she can help by guiding you throughout the complicated legal process and making sure you do not make mistakes that can hurt your claim. Additionally, an attorney knows how to seek maximum compensation from all available sources.
- Taking pictures: Use your smartphone to take photos of the accident scene and any evidence, such as if a spill caused you to slip and fall. Capture your injuries, property damages and any other evidence that may be helpful. Do not, however, endanger yourself or others to take photos.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Injured in a Casino Shuttle Bus Crash? Call Our Firm for Legal Help Today
Regardless of what caused your casino shuttle bus injury, we are here to help. At Bernstein & Poisson, we have spent decades helping injured victims and we have a proven track record.
Call to schedule your free case review today. There is no cost, risk or obligation to meet with us. Even if we determine you have a valid claim, you can choose not to pursue a case.
Reach out to our law firm anytime, night or day, to learn more about how we may be able to help.