Losses are different for every truck accident, and a lawyer may tell you how much you should settle for after a truck accident. Any figure that your lawyer quotes should come after careful consideration of your accident and the losses from your accident. Your lawyer may consider:
- What injuries you have suffered
- The amount of past and future medical bills
- The type of medical treatment required
- Whether you have lost a loved one
- How much income you will lose because of your injuries
- The extent of your pain and suffering (past and future)
- The share of responsibility for your accident
Truck accidents may be expensive, and your lawyer may seek compensation that is in line with your accident-related losses.
Truck Accidents Cause Severe, Expensive Damages
The harm that you experience because of your truck accident may determine your target compensation settlement. Truck accidents may cause more harm than most other types of accidents, owing to commercial trucks’ size and weight. According to the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA), truck accidents that cause injuries cost $200,000 on average.
The cost of truck accidents resulting in the loss of life is greater than $3 million. Even if your losses do not cost this much, you could have damages that are beyond the coverage provided by insurance. While you may have already been diagnosed with one or more injuries, for instance, further medical care could reveal additional injuries, as certain symptoms may not be as obvious in the days immediately following your accident.
The National Safety Council (NSC) notes that large trucks cause a disproportionately high number of fatal accidents. This speaks to the damage that a truck can do when they strike other vehicles, which may generally be smaller and lighter than the truck. You or your loved one may be entitled to compensation for injuries, including fatal injuries, caused by your truck accident.
Losses You May Experience After a Truck Accident
Truck accident victims all face unique consequences, and your lawyer will need to calculate your personal losses. Once they do, they may explain how much you should settle for after a truck accident. You may require extensive medical care for your injuries.
Some of the specific healthcare costs that you may be billed for are:
- Ambulance transport from your accident scene
- Care provided in an emergency department
- Diagnostic tests or scans
- The cost of hospitalization
- Follow-up medical appointments
Medical costs could be your most expensive category of loss after a truck accident. Your other losses could also cause a significant financial strain, as well as other forms of harm. These may include:
- Lost income resulting from your injuries
- Future loss of earning capacity
- Past and future pain and suffering
- The cost of repairing your vehicle or replacing a totaled vehicle
- The cost of temporary transportation
- The cost of psychological treatment for your trauma
A lawyer will speak with you about your losses if you have experienced a loved one’s unexpected death. The cost of your loved one’s funeral, the loss of their income, and your surviving family members’ pain and suffering could be among the losses covered through a settlement.
For a free legal consultation, call (702) 997-6999
A Lawyer Will Pursue Awards and Defend Your Rights
A lawyer may provide a similar range of services to victims of personal injuries and wrongful deaths caused by a truck accident. Your lawyer will review insurance policies and the facts surrounding your accident to determine whether an insurance claim or lawsuit is the path that they recommend. If you pursue an insurance claim, your lawyer will negotiate with any insurers who owe you compensation.
They will gather evidence, calculate your losses, and negotiate with insurance agents or the insurance companies’ lawyers. Some cases will lead to a lawsuit, either because insurance coverage does not cover your losses or because insurance companies refuse to pay what you deserve. If your case results in a lawsuit, then your lawyer may:
- Hire experts to help with pre-trial preparation
- Organize documentation of your injuries (or a loved one’s injuries) and the accident that caused your injuries
- Organize witness accounts of your accident and accident-related losses
- Handle the entire process of negotiating a settlement
- Defend your rights and protect you from unwanted contact with insurance companies or attorneys
Your lawyer will speak with you about the settlement figure they will aim to secure for you. Your accident-related losses may all be covered through a settlement.
Call the Attorneys at Bernstein & Poisson Today
Our team will pursue the coverage of your losses through a settlement, or take your case to trial if we cannot secure fair compensation through a settlement. Call our lawyers today at (702) 633-3333 to discuss starting your case.