Every case is unique, so it is impossible to give you an exact time frame for your claim’s completion. Still, we can go over some general timelines for what to expect when filing a premises liability claim. Your case could be resolved within a few months, but some factors can make it drag out.
Factors That Can Affect Your Claim’s Timeline
Many different factors can affect how fast your case takes to conclude. For instance, if your injuries are minor and heal quickly and the case is strong (meaning there is a lot of evidence against the at-fault party), you can have a check in hand in a relatively short amount of time.
Factors to watch out for:
Injuries That are Not Yet Healed
If your injuries have not yet healed, your lawyer may wait until you are better before bringing your claim to a conclusion. That is because your lawyer does not want you to lose out on medical damages that you could be entitled to recover.
It can be difficult to determine just how serious a person’s injuries are immediately following an accident. It may be prudent to wait a few weeks or months to ensure there are not any injuries you did not notice right away, though.
The Insurer Denying Your Claim
Sometimes, insurance companies slow down the process because they deny part or all of a claim. They can do this for various reasons, such as incorrect paperwork, disagreements related to your claim’s value, or issues related to fault.
If you want to avoid lengthy negotiations, it is important to make sure paperwork is completed accurately and promptly. You want to make sure you have strong evidence so your claim will not be denied.
The Complexity of Your Case
If an accident involves multiple parties, the time frame could take longer. Some more examples of complex cases that can lengthen a timeline for a personal injury claim include:
- Multiple injuries
- Difficulties with evidence collection
- Claims involving the government
- You might not have submitted your claim right away
- Busy season
- Holiday season
What Can You do to Speed Up the Process?
You may not have control over much of the personal injury claims process, but you have some control.
- You can quickly contact a law firm after an accident, which immediately gets the ball rolling. Lawyers know the laws, so they can avoid research-related delays that could affect the case.
- Your lawyer can gather the evidence before it becomes more difficult to collect.
- You can visit a doctor right away to ensure a paper trail links your accident to your injuries. Collecting medical evidence from that very first doctor visit can help your case move along more smoothly.
- Gather evidence right after your accident. The more evidence you have, the better. Solid evidence also helps you avoid delays due to your claim’s challenges.
- Filing claim paperwork correctly the first time can help you avoid delays.
Compensation You Can Win in a Premises Liability Claim
Your injury could have caused problems in your life. Such losses might be compensable.
Some damages that could be included in a claim are:
- Pain and suffering
- Lost income
- Lost future income
- Medical expenses
- Mental trauma
- Cost of mental health treatment
- Physical therapy expenses
- Permanent injury
- Lost life enjoyment
Get Legal Help with an Attorney for Your Claim Today
Your lawyer can analyze your situation, show you your legal options, and help you get started on your case. The sooner you get started, the sooner you’ll have the answers you need. Call Bernstein & Poisson to talk to a member of our legal team today.
We offer free case assessments, so you lose nothing by reaching out.