A hit and run accident occurs when a driver involved in an accident, whether it’s with another vehicle, pedestrian, or any property, chooses to flee the scene without providing necessary information or assisting the injured. For victims, the aftermath of a hit and run can be overwhelming, as they grapple not only with potential injuries and damages but also with the frustration and emotional distress of an at-fault party evading responsibility.
At Jack Bernstein Injury Lawyers, we understand the unique challenges you face after a hit and run. You’re not just seeking compensation; you’re seeking justice. This page is designed to guide you through the intricacies of hit and run cases in Las Vegas, offering insight into the legal landscape, as well as how our dedicated team of car accident lawyers can assist you in your hit and run case.
Protecting Your Rights For Over 40 Years.
Jack G. Bernstein, Esq. has been protecting the rights of injured victims and their families since 1983.
Common Locations and Scenarios in Las Vegas
The vibrant nature of Las Vegas, characterized by its busy nightlife, multi-lane roads, and extensive parking areas, unfortunately, makes it a potential hub for hit and run incidents. Here are some generalized scenarios and locations where these unfortunate events tend to occur:
- Major Intersections: Multi-lane roads and busy intersections in Las Vegas are often sites of accidents due to the high volume of traffic and complex navigation. In the chaos, some drivers choose to flee rather than face the consequences.
- Nightlife Zones: Areas such as the iconic Las Vegas Strip and the bustling Downtown region see a mix of tourists and locals. The dense foot traffic and congested roads, particularly during the late hours, make these areas more susceptible to hit and run incidents.
- Parking Areas: Large parking facilities, whether associated with shopping malls, casinos, or entertainment venues, are frequently the scenes of minor collisions. Even though these accidents might be less severe, the urge to avoid responsibility leads some drivers to leave without providing their details or ensuring the well-being of others involved.
Understanding Nevada’s Hit and Run Laws
In the state of Nevada, any driver involved in an accident is legally obligated to remain at the scene. This holds true regardless of who was at fault, the severity of the damage, or whether the accident involved a pedestrian, another vehicle, or property.
Specific obligations include:
- Exchange of Information: Drivers must provide their name, address, and vehicle registration number. If asked, they must also present their driver’s license.
- Assistance to the Injured: If the accident results in injury, drivers are obligated to provide reasonable assistance, which might include transporting (or arranging transportation for) the injured to a hospital.
Fleeing the scene of an accident, especially one that results in bodily injury or death, can lead to severe penalties in Nevada. These can range from hefty fines to substantial jail or prison time, depending on the circumstances and severity of the accident.
At Jack Bernstein Injury Lawyers, we are intimately familiar with Nevada’s hit and run laws and are committed to ensuring that victims are not left shouldering the burden of someone else’s irresponsibility.
Steps to Take After a Hit and Run Accident
In the immediate aftermath of a hit and run accident, victims often find themselves in a whirlwind of confusion and emotion. Despite this, taking the right actions can be pivotal in ensuring justice and compensation:
- Ensure Safety: Move the vehicle to a safe location, if possible, and turn on hazard lights. Check yourself and others for injuries and seek immediate medical attention.
- Contact Law Enforcement: Report the accident to the police and provide accurate details of the incident. Request a police report, as it can be valuable when filing an insurance claim or seeking legal assistance.
- Exchange Information: Exchange contact, insurance, and vehicle information with the other parties involved in the accident. Collect details such as names, phone numbers, addresses, driver’s license numbers, license plate numbers, and insurance policy information.
- Document the Scene: Take photos or videos of the accident scene, including the position of vehicles, damage sustained, skid marks, and any relevant road conditions. These visual records can support your insurance claim or legal case.
- Gather Witness Information: If there are any witnesses present, obtain their contact information. Their statements may be crucial for insurance purposes or legal proceedings.
- Seek Medical Attention: Even if you don’t have immediate visible injuries, it’s strongly advisable to get a medical evaluation after an accident. Some injuries may not manifest symptoms right away, and medical records can link any injuries to the accident.
- Consult an Attorney: If the accident resulted in significant damages or injuries you should consult with an injury attorney in Las Vegas. The legal experts at Jack Bernstein Injury Lawyers can provide guidance, protect your rights, and assist in seeking compensation for your injuries.
Challenges in Hit and Run Cases and How to Overcome Them
Hit and run cases come with their own set of unique challenges:
- Identifying the At-Fault Party: Often, the biggest hurdle is tracking down the driver who fled the scene.
- Collaborating with Authorities: Maintain open communication with law enforcement. Sometimes, working with private investigators becomes necessary to gather more evidence.
- Insurance Hurdles: If the at-fault party remains unidentified, victims might have to rely on their uninsured motorist coverage. In some cases, seeking restitution through legal avenues becomes the path forward.
How Jack Bernstein Injury Lawyers Can Help
Being the victim of a hit and run is traumatic. At Jack Bernstein Injury Lawyers, our priority is to shoulder the legal burdens, allowing you to focus on healing:
- Expertise in Tracing: Our team has resources and investigators with expertise in tracking down elusive drivers, ensuring they face the consequences of their actions.
- Negotiating with Insurers: Insurance companies can sometimes be hesitant to payout. Our lawyers are adept at ensuring you receive the compensation you’re entitled to.
- Comprehensive Representation: Even when the perpetrator remains elusive, we strive to ensure victims are compensated adequately through various legal avenues.
Why Choose Us for Your Hit and Run Case
At Jack Bernstein Injury Lawyers, our reputation in handling hit and run cases in Las Vegas stands testament to our commitment:
- Experience: Our firm boasts a notable track record in representing victims of hit and run incidents, ensuring they receive justice and compensation.
- Client Testimonials: Over the years, countless clients have voiced their gratitude for our unwavering support during such trying times. Their stories highlight our dedication.
- Act Now: Every moment counts after a hit and run. The sooner you reach out, the higher the chances of a favorable outcome. Don’t wait; contact us today for a free consultation and take the first step towards justice.
Hit & Run Accident Lawsuit FAQs
A hit and run occurs when a driver involved in an accident, regardless of fault, leaves the scene without stopping to identify themselves or assist the injured.
Yes. While having the license plate can be beneficial, it’s not the only evidence. Witnesses, surveillance footage, and physical evidence can still help in building a strong case.
Ensure safety first, then report the incident to the police, gather any available evidence, seek medical attention, and inform your insurance company.
Absolutely. An experienced attorney, like those at Jack Bernstein Injury Lawyers, can help unearth evidence you might overlook and navigate the complexities of your case.
If the at-fault driver isn’t identified, your uninsured motorist coverage can help cover medical expenses and property damage, provided you have this coverage in your policy.
Yes. While it’s ideal to identify the other driver, compensation can still be sought through your insurance or legal avenues like restitution.
Lawyers can work with law enforcement, hire private investigators, and ensure you receive fair compensation from your insurance company, especially in challenging hit and run cases.
Yes, there are statutes of limitations. It’s essential to act quickly to ensure all legal options remain available.
Penalties vary based on the severity of the accident but can include fines, jail time, and loss of driving privileges.
Yes, we assist both residents and visitors in Las Vegas. Regardless of where you’re from, we’re here to help you navigate the aftermath of a hit and run.
Remember, if you’re uncertain or have further questions, a consultation can provide clarity. Jack Bernstein Injury Lawyers offers free consultations to discuss the specifics of your situation.
Contact Us for a Free Consultation
Choosing the right Las Vegas auto accident lawyer is a critical decision that could significantly impact your recovery process and your life. At Jack Bernstein Injury Lawyers, we’re committed to helping Las Vegas residents recover the compensation they deserve from hit and run accidents. Contact us today for a free consultation. Jack’s Got Your Back!
Call us at (702) 633-3333 or contact us today for a free consultation to discuss your case.
Why Choose Jack Bernstein to Represent your Case?
Jack G. Bernstein, Esq. has been protecting the rights of injured victims and their families for over 40 Years. Since 1983, Jack Bernstein has a proven track record of successfully representing clients in injury and accident cases recovering millions of dollars in verdict and settlements.
Jack Bernstein Injury Lawyers have the knowledge, experience, and resources to handle even the most complex personal injury cases in Nevada. Jack Bernstein is personally involved in every single case the firm manages.