Dealing with a spinal cord injury, be it from an accident or another’s negligence in Vegas? Jack Bernstein Injury Lawyers recognize the gravity of such situations and are committed to serving all affected, ensuring maximum compensation.
Navigating the aftermath of a spinal cord injury can be profoundly overwhelming. Such injuries often signify not just a temporary setback, but a drastic shift in everyday life. The repercussions of spinal cord injuries are multifaceted, spanning medical, legal, financial, and emotional domains. Recognizing this complexity and the profound impact on an individual’s life, our aim is to shed light on the various aspects of spinal cord injuries, providing clarity in an otherwise turbulent time. Trust that with Jack Bernstein Injury Lawyers, professionalism isn’t just our obligation; it’s our unwavering commitment.
- Definition & Types: A spinal cord injury (SCI) typically results from a traumatic blow to one’s spine that fractures, dislocates, or otherwise damages the vertebrae. The injury disrupts the spinal cord’s ability to send and receive messages from the brain to the body’s systems that control sensory, motor, and autonomic functions below the level of injury. Two main types of SCIs exist:
- Complete Injury: This occurs when there’s a complete loss of sensation and muscle function in the body below the injury’s level. Essentially, there’s no function below the “neurological” level, meaning an individual cannot control movement or feel anything below the point of injury.
- Incomplete Injury: In these cases, an individual retains some sensory or motor function below the affected area. The degree of function depends on the nature and severity of the injury. Some may be able to move a limb, while others might feel touches or pressures but cannot move.
- Causes: Motor vehicle accidents remain the leading cause of spinal cord injuries, accounting for nearly half of new SCIs every year. Especially in bustling areas like Las Vegas, with its intricate web of traffic and heightened risk factors, car accidents significantly contribute to these devastating injuries. Apart from auto accidents, falls, acts of violence, sports accidents, and certain diseases can also lead to spinal cord injuries.
- Symptoms & Prognosis: Symptoms of a spinal cord injury vary widely based on the injury’s location and severity. Initial symptoms may include intense pain or pressure in the neck or back, paralysis, numbness, or tingling in the extremities. As time progresses, these may evolve into more chronic symptoms like difficulty walking, respiratory issues, or loss of bladder control.
The prognosis depends greatly on the injury’s nature and promptness of treatment. While rehabilitation can assist in regaining some lost function, it’s crucial to understand that SCIs often lead to permanent changes. Ongoing medical attention, therapy, and lifestyle adjustments become the new norm for many, emphasizing the need for expert legal representation to secure a future that caters to these extensive needs.
Legal Aspects of Spinal Cord Injuries
- Establishing Fault: In spinal cord injury cases, determining fault is crucial. Often, it boils down to identifying negligence. Was a driver distracted, or was there a property hazard that was overlooked? The burden of proof lies with the victim, making it essential to gather concrete evidence and have reliable witnesses. These cases often require expert testimonies and accident reconstruction to clearly establish fault.
- Compensation: Spinal cord injuries often result in hefty medical bills, long-term rehabilitation costs, and potential lifelong care. Victims are entitled to seek compensation not only for these medical expenses but also for lost wages, pain and suffering, and any other related damages. The more severe the injury, the higher the potential settlement. For instance, a complete spinal cord injury, leading to paralysis, will generally lead to a larger settlement than an incomplete injury.
- Legal Process: Unlike standard personal injury claims, spinal cord injury claims come with unique intricacies. Given the gravity of such injuries, these cases often involve detailed medical examinations, the potential for lifetime care assessments, and more extended periods of negotiation or court trials. The severe consequences of these injuries mean insurers and defendants may fight harder, making a seasoned attorney’s role vital.
Financial & Life Impact
- Immediate Costs: The financial aftermath of a spinal cord injury starts mounting almost instantly. From initial hospitalization to surgeries and early rehabilitation, costs can escalate quickly. Specialized equipment, like wheelchairs or ventilators, may also be necessary, leading to expenses that many don’t anticipate.
- Long-Term Implications: Beyond the immediate medical concerns, spinal cord injuries can drastically change one’s life trajectory. There may be challenges returning to work, especially if the victim held a physically demanding job. Leisure and daily activities, from driving to merely moving around one’s home, might become daunting or impossible tasks.
- Support Systems: Adapting to life after a spinal cord injury is challenging, and various support systems become invaluable. This includes ongoing physical therapy, counseling to cope with the emotional toll, and potentially home modifications like ramps or specialized bathrooms. The community and peer support can also be crucial in navigating the new challenges.
- Severity vs. Visibility: One of the most prevalent misconceptions is equating the visibility of an injury with its severity. A spinal cord injury might not always be externally visible, but its impact on the victim’s life can be profound.
- Recovery Timelines: Contrary to popular belief, severe spinal cord injuries don’t heal in just a few weeks or months. Recovery is often a lifelong journey, with some functionality possibly never returning.
- Insurance: Many victims believe their standard health insurance will cover all expenses related to a spinal cord injury. However, the extensive and long-term costs often exceed standard policy limits, underscoring the importance of a successful compensation claim.
Role of an Attorney in Spinal Cord Injury Cases
In the aftermath of a spinal cord injury, the legal maze can seem overwhelming. Here’s where the expertise of a specialized attorney becomes invaluable:
- Guidance from Day One: Immediately after the injury, there’s a need to preserve critical evidence, be it medical records or accident scene documentation. A seasoned attorney helps ensure this evidence is collected meticulously.
- Understanding Medical Complexities: With terms like “complete,” “incomplete,” “quadriplegia,” and more, spinal cord injuries are medically intricate. A skilled attorney will liaise with medical professionals, ensuring the injury’s gravity is communicated accurately to courts or insurers.
- Negotiating with Insurance Companies: Insurers often try to minimize payouts. An attorney acts as a buffer, ensuring you’re not lowballed and that you receive a fair settlement that considers current and future medical costs, lost wages, pain, and suffering.
- Litigating if Necessary: While many claims settle out of court, sometimes litigation is necessary. When this happens, having an attorney with courtroom experience in spinal cord injury cases becomes paramount.
Why Hire Jack Bernstein Injury Lawyers?
- Experience and Expertise: Since 1983, Jack Bernstein has a proven track record of successfully representing clients in accident cases recovering millions of dollars in verdict and settlements.
- Comprehensive Legal Support: Our commitment to your success goes beyond just legal representation. We have a network of trusted professionals, including accident reconstruction experts, medical specialists, and investigators, who can help strengthen your case.
- Tailored Approach: No two construction zone accidents are the same. Jack ensures a bespoke strategy for each client, aligning with the unique aspects of their case.
- Direct Consultation: When you trust Jack with your case, you’re not just another file. You get direct access to him, ensuring clear communication and hands-on guidance.
Spinal Cord Injury FAQs
A spinal cord injury is damage to the spinal cord that results in a loss of function, mobility, or feeling. Depending on the injury location and severity, the symptoms and implications can vary.
Motor vehicle accidents, including cars and motorcycles, are a leading cause of spinal cord injuries. These accidents can result in a range of injuries, from mild to severe, impacting an individual’s quality of life.
A complete injury implies there’s a total loss of sensory and motor function below the injury level. An incomplete injury retains some sensory or motor function below the affected region.
Fault is established through evidence like accident reports, eyewitness testimonies, camera footages, and expert analyses. An attorney plays a pivotal role in gathering and presenting this evidence effectively.
It’s crucial to seek medical attention immediately. Avoid moving the injured person unless absolutely necessary. Documenting the accident scene and getting eyewitness details can be beneficial for any future legal proceedings.
Victims may seek compensation for medical expenses, lost wages, pain and suffering, future care costs, and, in some instances, punitive damages.
With four decades of expertise, our firm has a deep understanding of the complexities surrounding spinal cord injuries. Jack Bernstein himself ensures each case receives a tailored strategy, maximizing the chances of a favorable outcome.
Time is of the essence. Contacting an attorney immediately helps preserve evidence and ensures you receive timely guidance on crucial decisions.
At Jack Bernstein Injury Lawyers, we operate on a contingency fee basis for spinal cord injury cases. This means you don’t pay unless we secure compensation for you.
The severity of spinal cord injuries, coupled with long-term implications and substantial medical expenses, makes these cases particularly intricate. Having a specialized attorney ensures you navigate this complexity effectively.
Spinal cord injuries are among the most life-altering events an individual can endure. They come with immense physical, emotional, and financial challenges. Yet, with the right legal ally by your side, you can navigate the complexities of your claim and secure the justice and compensation you deserve.
Contact Us for a Free Consultation
If you have been victim to a spinal cord injury in Las Vegas, contact Jack Bernstein Injury Lawyers for a free, no obligation consultation with experienced accident lawyers. You will gain an advocate for every stage in the claims process until you have the compensation you deserve.
Jack Bernstein Injury Lawyers is available to help you handle your spinal cord injury claim in the Las Vegas metropolitan area and beyond. Jack Bernstein and his team can offer you the personalized service and legal representation you deserve after an accident.
Call us at (702) 633-3333 or contact us today for a free consultation to discuss your case.
Why Choose Jack Bernstein to Represent your Case?
Jack G. Bernstein, Esq. has been protecting the rights of injured victims and their families for over 40 Years. Since 1983, Jack Bernstein has a proven track record of successfully representing clients in injury and accident cases recovering millions of dollars in verdict and settlements.
Jack Bernstein Injury Lawyers have the knowledge, experience, and resources to handle even the most complex personal injury cases in Nevada. Jack Bernstein is personally involved in every single case the firm manages.