If you got hurt in a truck accident, a North Las Vegas truck accident lawyer from Bernstein & Poisson could help you go after compensation for your losses. We handle North Las Vegas truck accidents on a contingency-fee-basis, which means that you will not have to pay upfront legal fees to get our help. We only get paid if we “win” your case.
From there, payment for our assistance comes out of your insurance settlement or court award. You can call us today at (702) 633-3333 to get started. We do not charge for the initial consultation, and there is no obligation.
Nevada’s Statute of Limitations
Our state only gives you two years from the date of an accident to file a lawsuit for compensation, per NRS §11.190(4)(e). Please do not wait too long to contact us. Once this deadline passes, you could lose the right to hold the negligent party accountable for hurting you.
For a free legal consultation with a truck accidents lawyer serving North Las Vegas, call (702)-887-1712
How We Establish the At-Fault Party’s Role in Your Accident
To secure a financial recovery for your losses, we must show that the other party caused your accident and subsequent damages.
We must establish the following four factors:
- Duty of care. The at-fault driver must have owed you a duty of care. Usually, it is not difficult to prove this element because everyone who drives a car, truck, or motorcycle on public streets has an obligation to follow traffic laws and guidelines.
- Breach of duty of care. Let’s say that the other party exceeded the speed limit on the highway. Speeding is against the law and could put others at risk of harm, which would constitute a breach of the other party’s duty of care.
- You must prove that the other party’s actions caused your accident and your injuries. Your lawyer may need to conduct an investigation into your circumstances to prove this element.
- D You must have suffered a financial, physical, or emotional injury to be entitled to compensation.
Once we prove the elements of negligence, we can pursue monetary damages on your behalf. You do not have to master personal injury law to hold another party responsible for hurting you. A North Las Vegas truck accident lawyer from Bernstein & Poisson can advocate on your behalf.
North Las Vegas Truck Accident Lawyer Near Me (702)-887-1712
Types of Compensation You Can Pursue in a North Las Vegas Truck Accident Injury Claim
The kinds of damages you might be able to go after will depend on the facts of your situation. Every case is different. We will have to talk to you and investigate your injury claim before we can determine the cost of your damages.
Here are some types of damages that we have recovered for our clients:
- Lost income. Many people miss out on some hours or paychecks while recuperating from their injuries. Your lawyer can speak with your boss and review your employment records to determine how much income you lost.
- Medical expenses. People can usually seek the cost of their medical bills for the treatment they needed because of their accident, which can include healthcare services from the days, months, and even years after the accident. You may be able to recover the reasonable cost of hospitalization, surgical procedures, medications, the ambulance ride, and follow-up care.
- Past and future pain and suffering and mental anguish. This category encompasses the physical discomfort and emotional distress you experienced from your accident. Some people face long-term chronic pain from their injuries, and these losses can be included in your claim.
- Future loss of earning capacity. Your injuries may have affected your cognitive function, range of motion, stamina, and strength. These impairments could have reduced the number of hours you could work or your workload.
- Noneconomic damages. Some damages are challenging to measure in dollar amounts, even though they are significant losses. Disfigurement, loss of enjoyment of life, and post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) are some types of non-economic damages that are compensable.
These are but a few examples of damages that can be included in your truck accident claim. A North Las Vegas truck accident lawyer can explain what other damages you may be eligible to recover.
Nevada’s Modified Comparative Fault Law
You can still pursue compensation for your losses, even if you were partially at fault for the accident. Nevada follows a modified comparative fault law, illustrated under NRS §41.141. Your role in the accident must be less than that of the other party’s.
You cannot be more than 50% responsible for the accident and recover compensation. If there is more than one at-fault party, your negligence must be less than the combined negligence of the other involved parties.
By way of example, if the other party was 90% at fault and you were 10% at fault, you could pursue legal action to recover compensation. On the other hand, if you were 90% responsible and the other party was 10% responsible, you would not be able to recover compensation for your losses. Bernstein & Poisson can determine if you are eligible to pursue financial recovery for your losses.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Get Legal Help from an Attorney with a Truck Accident Injury Claim
After getting hurt in a truck accident, you need time to rest and recuperate from your injuries. Let a North Las Vegas truck accident lawyer from Bernstein & Poisson take care of your personal injury claim so that you can focus on getting better. You can call us today at (702) 633-3333 for a free consultation.